Monday, October 11, 2010

Mike's DVD Haul

My DVD buying seems to happen in clusters. I'll buy a lot all at once and then none for a long period of time. It's probably because I don't often rely on the local mall to do my purchasing and a lot of the locations where the best stuff is requires me to make a special trip. So, with that said, there will be one more Haul after this at the beginning on November and then probably not another one until Christmas.

With the exception of The Great Dictator, Chaplin's three other sound films often get mixed reactions. However, in my quest to own all of Chaplin's feature films now only City Lights remains.
 Richard Linklater is one of my favourite directors. It's a shame more people didn't check this out when it was in theaters. Then again, it probably didn't come to a theatre near too many people.
I know I ranked Avatar as my favourite film of 2009 but that was because I hadn't seen Up in the Air at the time.
 Thus completes my Apu Trilogy.
Although this isn't always the work of hers that gets most praised or is the most timeless but this early Agnes Varda film was just as good as Truffaut and Godard's early French New Wave films. It also features a wonderful little cameo from Godard and wife Anna Karina.
My quest to own all of Disney's feature length cartoons (with the exception of Treasure Planet and Home on the Range) comes on step closer to being completed (The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast remain). I know this is going to be rereleased in November with Fantasia 2000 but I already own that film and it is getting bad reviews for being a censored version so I instead hunted down this out-of-print copy. 
Sarah Silverman is funny. This movie lets her down by cutting pretty horrible skits into her stand up routine but it's her only performance on video and so therefore you have to take the bad with the good.
Grabbing the other two seasons of Arrested Development.

No comments:

Post a Comment