Friday, June 11, 2010

My First Time


Back before I had my entire May consumed by The List it seemed as though I was doing a new meme every other day. Although I don't see much specific worth in them I played along because they are light and fun and mean that I can go another day without racking my brain for inspiration. One of the questions that often comes up on these things is about your first movie experience. Frankly, I've had so many movie experiences that who the heck knows what the first one was. But then I just recently started thinking about it and I think I finally have a legitimate answer.

Surely, I saw other movies before this one but the first film I have any conscious memory of seeing was Return to Oz. When I was little, against my will and better judgement, me and my parents would sometimes go on walks downtown and as a break we would sometimes, maybe often, stop at the convenience store Beckers downtown. Beckers is no more. There used be two of them in Walkerton, the one uptown became a Macs and the one downtown is now a Daisy Mart.

Anyway, Beckers used to rent VHS and original Nintendo games, you know, the ones you needed to almost blow your lungs out to get to work? They used to have one that I would rent constantly because it was one of my favourite games but I can't remember it for the life of me or what kind of game it even was. I'm off topic again. Anyway, they used to rent VHS'. That was back in the day when you could tell that something was rented by a clip that went over the box and had a sad face with the word "Rented" above it.

So we stopped for a Popsicle break and I saw Return to Oz on the shelf and wanted to see it. I have no idea whether I had seen the Wizard of Oz at that point (if I did I have no memory of it) or whether or not I even knew this one was a sequel or even just thought it was The Wizard of Oz. Nevertheless, I wanted to see it.

We didn't rent it that day. My mom rented it for me some time later. I was at home, sick. I don't know if I was puking or not but I think I must have been because I usually never stayed home under any other conditions. Anyway, I was watching Sesame Street and my mom asked me if I wanted anything. I had two requests, chocolate Popsicles and Return to Oz. I have no real memory of what Return to Oz was about. I read a description that apparently Oz is in ruins and there is a new friend with a pumpkin for a head but none of this rings any bells. What I do remember though is that, for me, at that age, the movie was terrifying.



There was one thing in particular that scared the heck out of me that I vividly remember and that was the Wheelers. They are guys with wheels as appendages who chase Dorothy through a run down Oz. Scary stuff, especially when you're sick and watching it by yourself. I can't remember if I actually finished the movie or had to turn it off. I also have no idea if Return to Oz is even available on DVD or if it eventually found its audience (I don't think it did good business at the box office), and I haven't seen it since so I don't even know if it is any good or not but anyway, for anyone who cares to know, that was, so far as memory serves, my first movie experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment