Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mike's DVD Haul

This will be my last DVD Haul for a while. Sure I'll buy a DVD here and there but I don't expect to be going out and buying mass amounts of DVDs any time soon. I've got to save money and such. It ain't cheap living in Toronto you know. So anyway, I'm glad that people have been following along and like seeing what I'm picking up and I'm glad Travis came up with this idea over at The Movie Encyclopedia so that I could steal it from him. Although in his last post he put up a picture of his DVD shelf. Always two steps ahead I guess.

I don't know if anyone would buy this for Troll. It's kind of like a special freebie that you get for buying Troll 2, which, if you don't know (for shame) has become famous for being one of the worst movies ever made. So bad is Troll 2 in fact that it is, in a twisted sort of way, kind of a work of art. It's so naive in it's badness, trying so hard to be good that there is just no way it could have ever worked. From the horrible acting to the laughable costumes and special effects to the nonsensical dialogue, this movie is an absolute classic.

In the same vein as The Unbearable Lightness of Being and Last Tango in Paris, Louis Malle's Damage is an erotic tale that was praised for actually being about eroticism instead of just going for titillation. I haven't seen it but this is considered one of Malle's better American films.

If there's one thing I love the way I love movies it's stand-up comedy. One of those comedians I love is Patton Oswalt. Know for his work on sitcom King of Queens and the voice of Remy the rat in Ratatouille, Oswalt is considered to be part of the "Alternative" comedy movement (whatever that means) alongside David Cross and the routinely unfunny Brian Posehn. I haven't seen this set yet but have rarely ever found Oswalt unfunny.

More Louis Malle. Malle made three films, Murmur of the Heart, Lacombe, Lucien and Au Revior Les Enfants which were all coming of age tales about kids forced into growing up under unfortunate circumstances. These films are not as unhinged as Malle's French New Wave films but are very personal and introspective experiences nonetheless.


Sometimes when I see a film it reminds me of how good a previous film was and how I want to see that one again. Mission Impossible 3 made me go out and buy Mission Impossible 2, Fast and the Furious 3 made me go out and buy the first 2 and now Inception made me want to go back and get The Prestige, which essentially tells the same story and explores the same ideas but with more clarity and intelligence and less boom boom.

I've also got a copy of Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samurai on the way but it didn't get here in time to make the cut. Oh well, it's a great film anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment