Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Movie Quiz


Alright so, slow day for me on the blog front. I had a meeting with some group members for a school project and need to read some business case in order to be prepped for another project meeting tomorrow (the wonders of going back to school).
Regardless, in my desire to not let too many days go by without me posting at least something, be it profound of silly, I've stolen a movie quiz from Dennis Cozzalio who sometimes posts these things over at his great blog Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule, which I would recommend to anyone who wants more intelligent, lengthy and scholarly film pieces. Anyway, I've done the quiz myself, albeit maybe a tad half-heartedly. Regardless, here it is:


1) Second-favorite Coen Brothers movie: That would be No Country for Old Men. I'm cliche, my favourite is Fargo.

2) Movie seen only on home format that you would pay to see on the biggest movie screen possible? It's a tie between La Dolche Vita and Fanny and Alexander

3) Japan or France? As much as I love classic Japanese movies, I've got to go with France, which has produced more brilliant filmmakers than I can count on two hands: Renoir, Melville, Cocteau, Godard, Rohmer, Truffaut, Rivette, Chabrol, Malle, Resnais, and there's probably many more that I am missing.

4) Favorite moment/line from a western: John Wayne in The Undefeated:
Bad Guy about to get punched- "But I didn't do anything."
Wayne- "You should have." Bad guy gets punched

5) Of all the arts the movies draw upon to become what they are, which is the most important, or the one you value most? Literature, which I feel is the most important art form to begin with. Plus I'm a sucker for great dialogue.

6) Most misunderstood movie of the 2000s: Neil Labute's remake of The Wicker Man with Nicolas Cage, Knowing and The Happening are the ones that jump off the top of my head right now.

7) Name a filmmaker/actor/actress/film you once unashamedly loved who has fallen furthest in your esteem- This is a tough one as no one jumps instantly to mind. I wish Vince Vaughn would stop phoning it in it stupid sitcom comedies and actually act again like he did before he got famous and fat with the Wedding Crashers.

8) Herbert Lom or Patrick Magee? No idea.

9) Which is your least favorite David Lynch film: Fire Walk with Me or Dune. Really though, I used to worship the ground Lynch walked on in high school, but now that I have broadened my film intake and seen some of the truly great avant-garde films of the world, it's hard for me to look at any Lynch film without seeing their underlying pretension. Mulholland Drive and The Straight Story are exceptions.

10) Gordon Willis or Conrad Hall? No idea.

11) Second favorite Don Siegel movie? Well I haven't seen many but I'd say Coogan's Bluff or Escape from Alcatraz are pretty decent ones behind the original Dirty Harry

12) Last movie you saw on DVD/Blu-ray? In theaters? DVD- After Dark, My Sweet and theater was Up in the Air

13) Which DVD in your private collection screams hardest to be replaced by a Blu-ray? None of them. I'll buy DVDs until you can buy them no more

14) Eddie Deezen or Christopher Mintz-Plasse- Neither really tickles my fancy

15) Actor/actress who you feel automatically elevates whatever project they are in, or whom you would watch in virtually anything? Easy one: Christopher Walken. Come on, his scene in Gigli was brilliant (I say this completely devoid of sarcasm)

16) Fight Club -- yes or no? A huge Hell No!

17) Teresa Wright or Olivia De Havilland? No idea

18) Favorite moment/line from a film noir. Lee Marvin with the coffee pot in The Big Heat.

19) Best (or worst) death scene involving an obvious dummy substituting for a human or any other unsuccessful special effect(s)- Probably Bela Lugosi and the octopus in Ed Wood's Bride of the Monster.

20) What's the least you've spent on a film and still regretted it? All the Tyler Perry movies I wasted a blank DVD burning.

21) Van Johnson or Van Heflin? No idea.

22) Favorite Alan Rudolph film. None of them really. I guess I'll go with Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle.

23) Name a documentary that you believe more people should see- Hoop Dreams, Stevie, 4 Little Girls, When the Levee's Break. There are plenty of docs more people should see.

24) In deference to this quiz’s professor, name a favorite film which revolves around someone becoming stranded. I really don't have a favourite stranded movie.

25) Is there a moment when your knowledge of film, or lack thereof, caused you an unusual degree of embarrassment and/or humiliation? If so, please share. Not really, I try to adapt to each person, not talking over or under them depending on the circumstances.

26) Ann Sheridan or Geraldine Fitzgerald? These questions suck.

27) Do you or any of your family members physically resemble movie actors or other notable figures in the film world? If so, who? My girlfriend's mom once told me I look like Leo Dicaprio. I donno, I don't see it.

28) Is there a movie you have purposely avoided seeing? If so, why? Not really, I'm up for anything once.

29) Movie with the most palpable or otherwise effective wintry atmosphere or ambiance. Ingmar Bergman's Winter Light

30) Gerrit Graham or Jeffrey Jones- Enough!

31) The best cinematic antidote to a cultural stereotype (sexual, political, regional, whatever). Every character in ever movie Tyler Perry has ever made, Madea especially. God I hate Tyler Perry

32) Second favorite John Wayne movie- Please don't make me pick. The Searchers behind Rio Bravo.

33) Favorite movie car chase. I've give two answers. The cliche- The French Connection, and the not cliche- The hilarious Bullit parody in Clint Eastwood's The Dead Pool (my favourite Dirty Harry film by the way).

34) In the spirit of His Girl Friday, propose a gender-switched remake of a classic or not-so-classic film. I find almost all talk of gender in film to be completely meaningless so this question strikes me as shallow and stupid.

35) Barbara Rhoades or Barbara Feldon? No idea.

36) Favorite Andre De Toth movie. Haven't seen one to my knowledge.

37) If you could take one filmmaker's entire body of work and erase it from all time and memory, as if it had never happened, whose oeuvre would it be? Tyler Perry, Eli Roth or those dudes who keep making those insipid "Movie" movies like Epic Movie and Disaster Movie and so on, whose actual names I'm not even going to make the effort to look up.

38) Name a film you actively hated when you first encountered it, only to see it again later in life and fall in love with it. Took me a couple tries to realize what exactly the big deal was about Goodfellas.

39) Max Ophuls or Marcel Ophuls? Max

40) In which club would you most want an active membership, the Delta Tau Chi fraternity, the Cutters or the Warriors? And which member would you most resemble, either physically or in personality? To quote Woody Allen, Groucho Marx, whoever, in jest: I never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member

41) Your favorite movie cliché. The "Big Game" at the climax of sports movies.

42) Vincente Minnelli or Stanley Donen? Vinvente Minelli (I love the original Father of the Bride)

43) Favorite Christmas-themed horror movie or sequence. The original Black Christmas

44) Favorite moment of self- or selfless sacrifice in a movie. The death of John Coffee in The Green Mile (sorry if I ruined it for anyone)

45) If you were the cinematic Spanish Inquisition, which movie cult (or cult movie) would you decimate? What a strange question. I would get rid of the people who think Donnie Darko, Fight Club or The Boondock Saints are good movies.

46) Caroline Munro or Veronica Carlson? No idea.

47) Favorite eye-patch wearing director. John Ford

48) Favorite ambiguous movie ending. Antoinioni's Blow-Up

49) In giving thanks for the movies this year, what are you most thankful for? As cliche as this is going to be, and you may hate me for it but the return of James Cameron.

50) George Kennedy or Alan North? Alan North simply because I think all six episodes of Police Squad! was just about the funniest thing that has ever been on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment