Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sundays


Sundays generally suck. I usually sleep in until 1 in the afternoon, am too lazy to work out, have to go to bed super early for an 8:00 am class on Labour Relations the next day and there is never any good entertainment news unless someone dies. Maybe I'll watch the Golden Globes tonight or something, even though I've never really taken them very seriously (Nine is nomination worthy? Come on), and, as a side note, I ended up seeing Up In the Air last night instead of Youth in Revolt (a good decision I think) so I'm editing that review and should have it posted tomorrow afternoon.

I do have one thing that I want to do today though. Back in my film studies days at Wilfred Laurier University I used to have too many classes with a fellow student who I will not name (because he probably Googles himself on a regular basis), but who I disliked so thoroughly that, well, I'm still compelled to slander him in print three years later. Anyway, just to give you an idea of this fellow: he more or less thought he was the be-all end-all of film studies knowledge. He would sit in silence for most classes, every once in a while raising his hand to answer a question as though we should all be thankful to be in the presence of his brilliance (although he mostly talked himself into corners whenever questioned), when he gave out personal tidbits about himself he made them sound like statements of his credentials: he didn't just see a movie, he saw it in front of a sold out audience at Roy Thompson Hall during the Toronto International Film Festival with the entire cast and crew present, and so on and so forth.

Now let me get to my point. He had both a film blog and a film discussion board, both of which I followed and commented on. He soon disabled the ability to comment anonymously on his blog though because people were leaving negative comments, arguing with him and he soon disabled the Karma function on his board because his started going into the negatives. So you see, competition was not part of his vocabulary.

There was one thing that he would post on his blog every year that baffled me. He would vainly post a list of all the movies he watched that year, as if people should really care. I wouldn't even read a list of movies Roger Ebert watched throughout a year. However, in another act of vanity, he posted his DVD collection list, which interested me thoroughly. Why? Well because I wanted to compare it to my own, feel jealously over some things he had and I didn't and feel pride over some things that were absent from his collection but were prominent members of mine, and really, you can tell a lot about a person by seeing what kinds of movies they own.

Maybe it's a film geek thing. I know it's pure vanity but, since I enjoyed it so much those many years ago, I am posting the link to my DVD collection as well. Check it out if you want. Is there anything there you thought didn't exist and want to know where you can get your hands on it? Is there anything you think that my list is completely missing and my collection would be all the much better for having? Let me know in the comments and also link me to your own collections if you have them.

Note- the picture at the top is not my DVD collection, it's actually a picture I stole from someone else's blog, which means I feel obliged to link you to him. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment