Friday, April 9, 2010

My Desert Island DVDs



Alright, I've been seeing people doing this for a couple of weeks on their own blogs and I've read them all with joy but never quite wanted to do it for myself. I mean, 8 movies to watch for the rest of my life? How would I ever pick? But I'm going to do it anyway because, well I guess it's kind of fun and Wild Celtic told me I should and if she says it's a good idea, it simply must be. The idea original concept comes from Fandango Groovers and is basically what I just described it to be: a list of the 8 movies that I would take with me if I had to live for the rest of my life on a deserted island. I must say that picking just eight movies is going to be a near impossibility. What I do know however is that this list will in no way represent my list of eight favourite films, but the ones that I could picture myself watching over and over again. Jean Renoir's Rules of the Game is one of my favourite films but I'm not so sure I'd want to be stuck with it until my death, ya know? So anyway, without further ado:


8. Adaptation- My pick for the best film of the decade, Adaptation is a film of unending complexity, maturity, hilarity, tenderness and passion. It's a film that is at once a middle finger to Hollywood conventions, a meditation on screenwriting, a biopic about a man obsessed with flowers and the author who writes about him and a deep, profound meditation on the nature and necessity of passion and how it often veers dangerously close to obsession, not to mention a brilliant performance by Nicholas Cage who plays clearly identifiable identical twins without any make-up tricks. Hollywood rarely takes chances on films like this anymore, which maybe explains why it rarely produces meaningful works these days.


7. Con Air- I'd need an action movie because I have a weakness for chases, shoot-outs and things blowing up, so why not take the one with Nic Cage, John Cusack and John Malkovich? This one was one of my favourites from around grade 7 or 8 and still remains amazing. That last scene when Cage meets his daughter for the first time gets me every time.

6. La Dolce Vita- Fellini at his best. How could I live without this?


5. Fanny and Alexander- Haunting and magical. This is one of the few films that I have ever walked away from feeling as though the inner fabric of my being had been penetrated. This film plays upon every emotion known to the soul. It's also the culmination of Bergman's entire career.

4. Fubar- No matter the time nor the place this movie makes me laugh and laugh and laugh, and it's at different things every time. Maybe it's a Canadian thing?


3. Magnolia- Paul Thomas Anderson said that his approach to this film was to sit down and write everything he'd ever wanted to say, which is funny because this movie features just about everyone I've ever wanted to hear.


2. Rent Live on Broadway- I'd need a musical and since the Rent movie isn't very good and is missing important songs I'd take the live Broadway performance instead.

1. Richard Pryor: Live on the Sunset Strip- I would also need some stand-up comedy, so why not take the best? Not only do I love Richard Pryor because he was the greatest man to ever take the stage but with this performance he also gives you something to take home with you. As funny as this is, I always remember the discussion of going back to Africa where Pryor discovered just how equal everyone is. It's rare to be able to say that you're life is a little better from having seen a stand-up comedy performance. This is one of those.




If I could I'd also try to sneak Say Anything, but don't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment